Our team of dental professionals at Arbour Lake Dental Care are trained in the Oravital™ System, which chronic bad breath, bad taste in the mouth, and periodontal disease.
What are the causes of bad breath?
- Accumulation of harmful bacteria in the mouth
- Periodontal disease
- Dental cavities
- Hormonal changes
- Poor nutrition
- Certain prescription drugs
Harmful bacteria in the mouth may cause patients to be predisposed to health conditions such as heart disease or diabetes. Your sense of smell and taste may also be affected.
How does the Oravital™ System work?
The Oravital™ System is designed to detect and treat causes of bad breath.
When you visit our dental office, we'll examine your mouth for existing dental problems, and have a discussion with you to determine any factors that could be contributing to the condition. When you start the Oravital™ System, you'll experience the following:
- Screening: A swab will be used to take samples of bacteria from your mouth. A lab will conduct a microbial analysis to look for odour-causing bacteria.
- Treatment: If harmful bacteria are found, you will begin using an Oravital™ antiseptic or antibiotic rinse that’s formulated to kill the germs causing your infection.
- Evaluation: After using the rinse for approximately two weeks (or another time frame given by your dentist), you will return for a checkup. Your teeth, tongue and gums will be examined to look for any problems.
- Maintenance: We recommend regular dental checkups along with a good home care routine. This could include using an Oravital™ rinse on a daily basis.
- Re-evaluation: In order to monitor the balance of your mouth’s bacteria, it’s recommended that you have microbial testing at least once a year. If the harmful bacteria accumulate again, your bad breath symptoms could return.
Preventive care is important when you are affected by bad breath. To book your appointment, call us today.