We offer sedation services in Northwest (NW) Calgary. At Arbour Lake Dental Care, we offer a number of options to help you if you are nervous or anxious about visiting the dentist.
Nervous about visiting the dentist? We can help.
Some patients experience a fear of dental procedures. We offer a variety of sedation services for patients who are nervous or anxious.
Oral Conscious Sedation
- Ease of administration (pill form)
- No needles
- Little to no memory of your dental visit
- The ability to drive yourself to and from your appointment
Nitrous Oxide Sedation
Nitrous Oxide Sedation is an alternative to oral conscious sedation. It is administered as a gas, and is often called "laughing gas".
- Rapid onset of sedative effects
- No needles
- Reduced gag reflex
Intravenous Sedation (IV Sedation)
Intravenous Sedation can create a calm state for anxious or nervous patients. Patients who have IV sedation require a companion to bring them to and from their dental appointment, and to stay with them afterwards.
How it Works:
- The IV is inserted and an anti-anxiety sedative is administered by a doctor qualified to administer it.
- The onset is rapid and the patient experiences a state of relaxation.
- Patient is able to be conscious and able to communicate.
- Pulse and oxygen levels are monitored throughout the procedure.
- Most patients have little or no memory of the procedure.
- The procedure is supervised by dental professionals trained in IV sedation.
The following instructions are general guidelines. Follow the instructions you received during your pre-op consultation as they will be more specific to your needs.
- No food or water 8 hours prior to your appointment.
- Do not drink any alcohol.
- No illegal drugs of any variety.
- Inform us of any prescription drugs you are taking.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery for 24 hours after sedation.
- A responsible adult should be with you for several hours after the appointment.
- You can eat and drink as soon as you would like, and doing this will likely help return you to pre-sedation norms
- You may feel drowsy after you leave our office.
- Allow someone to assist you with walking after your appointment.
Please feel free to talk to one of our dental professionals at Arbour Lake Dental Care regarding sedation services. We're here to help.