At Arbour Lake Dental Care in Northwest (NW) Calgary, our family dentists provide fluoride treatment to help make teeth resistant to decay and maintain a healthy smile.
What is a fluoride treatment?
Acid from plaque and bacteria in the mouth can cause tooth decay. Fluoride is a mineral that helps prevent cavities and can help repair teeth in the very early microscopic stages of tooth decay.
A fluoride treatment is applied directly to the surface of the teeth after they have been professionally cleaned. This treatment takes just a few minutes and is available in the form of a rinse, foam or varnish.
When is a fluoride treatment recommended?
Regular fluoride treatments are recommended for adults and children. A fluoride treatment may be recommended for you for any of the following reasons:
- Defects in tooth enamel caused by early cavity formation
- The presence of active cavities in teeth
- Active orthodontic treatment
- Exposed root surfaces in the mouth
- Decreased salivary flow resulting in dry mouth
- Lack of regular professional dental care
- Poor oral hygiene
If you are at high risk of developing cavities, we may also recommend over the counter products such as fluoride gels, mouth rinses or antibacterial mouth rinses.